Wednesday, October 23, 2013

On What I Want Home to Feel Like

 
 
A few weeks ago, some of my long lost college friends came into town and stayed with me.  One of my friends told me, in reference to my home's style, "Brandi, everytime I look around, I see something new".  My heart smiled.
 
A few days ago, my friend Charlotte at Living Well on the Cheap wrote about what she wants her home to feel like. My mind wandered.
 
 
In years past, I had a majority of gray rooms and cool colors, but one day I really looked at my pinterest boards and tried to deduce a trend.  What wall colors, arrangements, and elements continue to pop up? 
 
Armed with that information, I started changing the feel of my home to reflect these things.  In the spring I began with my newly-painted white guest room, then a newly-painted white master bedroom, and just two weeks ago with a newly-painted white living room.  I'm a big fan of Scandinavian design, and I feel that white walls truly let what adorns them shine through.  Everything suddenly feels more important, like a gallery.  A clean slate in my slightly messy & dog-fur-covered home. 
 
White is good, but what do I want my home to feel like?
 
Well, I want it to feel like it does, both now and in progress. Like there are things to be seen. Things that are meaningful to me, and unique to everyone else. Like a collection of sorts. Not everyone will get it. To some it will be disorganized or weird or quirky or ugly, but the heart wants what it wants.
 
Everything in life happens in what seems to be haphazard and random sort of way, but in the end it turns out how it should.  The stars in the sky look like a bunch of dots strewn about in the night, but once you take the time to look at them with a discerning eye, you will notice that they form the shapes and figures as they have for millions of years. 
 
And that is why I am happy in my home as it is, as it changes, and as it will be.
And why I have nine permanent dots to remind me that those stars that are not random.  

No comments:

Pin It button on image hover