Tuesday, August 20, 2013

On Etsy Shops & Love

{ pinterest }
 
So.  Long time no blog.  I've just been a busy little bee, and haven't had the time or the motivation to take photographs of anything.  I've been busy doing things instead, and since this is my little blog, and nobody else's I don't feel the need to apologize.
 
While I've been away, I made a facebook page for A Brandi Sized Shop.  Did you notice?  Probably not, since I'm guessing nobody is reading my few & far between blog posts. 
 
Big deal right?
 
I've had my shop since March of 2011 when I began making yarn wreaths & selling vintage items, but now I strictly sell vintage. I have always enjoyed old things and unique things, and I would be going thrifting whether or not I had a shop, simply for my own pleasure.  My shop is a small operation, and I really take the time to photograph and describe my items well, rather than hurrying to get everything listed.  I don't adhere to the notion that more is better(unless we're talking about french fries and beers after Sunday long runs), and while I still want to make money, I also want to have fun.  That being said, I thought I would enjoy being able to post as "A Brandi Sized Shop", get a little exposure, and have a place to focus on thrifting and such. 
 
What I didn't count on was the fact that hitting "publish" would make me feel breathless and a little scared.  I've had my shop for over two years, but few people outside of my office(who see me shipping things) know about it so by inviting my friends to like it, I was opening myself up to judgment.  Will all these people think I'm an idiot for buying weird old things and then selling them?  Will people think that I'm just in it to make a buck?  Will people think that I have the worst design sense ever based on what I find cool and unique enough to purchase and hope sells? 
 
I feel like making my shop's facebook page public, is similar to saying, "I love you" to someone for the first time.  Sure, you know that you do love them, and there's a pretty good chance they might love you too, but by actually saying it out loud you're also losing control over the situation because when you tell that person that you love them, you are also showing them how important they are to you...and with importance comes power, and the chance of brokenheartedness.  From a girl who, at times, wants to be SUPER SELF-SUFFICIENT without dependence on anyone else for anything, this can be a scary situation.  Someone knows that they have your heart and can pretty much do what they want with it, and suddenly you've lost control. 
 
But in the end, it could be worth it but you'll never know unless you try.
 
So, facebook, I love my etsy shop.  Thats all.
 
If you're so inclined, like my page, and I'll try to entertain you. 
 
 


No comments:

Pin It button on image hover