Tuesday, March 19, 2013

No Azaleas Here

When one thinks of Louisiana, oftentimes a slew of pink Azaleas comes to mind.  My parents have five or six bushes that have been there for at least 25 years, as well as a few Gardenia bushes.  One sniff of Gardenia and I'm brought back to childhood when I would bring my favorite elementary school teachers a few perfect white blooms.
I would LOVE a gardenia if only for the scent of those scrumptious white flowers.
 
Afton Villa Entrance
{via Colleen P. Landry on Flickr }
 
Too bad that both of these shrubs absolutly require acidic soil.
 
 
While I was digging up liriope for my brick-edging project last weekend, I went ahead and used a soil test that I had picked up at Home Depot for under $4.00.  I followed the instructions and found out that my soil is neutral-on-the-alkaline-side, with very low nitrogen, medium phosphorus{the color turned bluer}, and low potash.  Guess I need some amendments to add nutrients to my soil.  And I won't be growing in Azaleas or Gardenias.  Hawthorne's for this lady.  
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Pin It button on image hover