Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Back from the SXM, Part 199

Back from the SXM, Part 199
Last August, I went to the little Dutch/French Island of St. Maarten.
Anybody remember?
If you don't, but want to, check out my arrival, getting settled, the french side, and the beach.  This is the last post I will ever do about the SXM!
Lots of photos to come, so get ready...Freddie.

Out last day, we decided to go to St. Phillipsburg, which happens to be one of the most populated places on the island. This day, Courtney's fiancee was busy, so we had to take a cab to and from this part of the island.

{ Courthouse }
We had to stop for lunch at the tiny waterfront Hard Rock Cafe and I had to buy my mom a shot glass.
She's not much into shots anymore, but she still collects the glasses from each location we go to. 
This area is where the cruise ships port, so there are plenty of chairs to rent, and trinkets to be bought.


Our walk led us to the "downtown" part of St. Phillipsburg where we tried a local drink(A Guavaberry Jumbie...is that what it was called?), found the local museum locked, found some sort of star wars museum open, and did some more walking about.




Our cab ride home let me get some shots of the interior island, which looked like Jurassic Park to me, and then we had to pack up and get ready to go back to the states.


Princess Juliana Airport(where they are winners) was small, and then we had a six or hour layover in Miami where we ate mall pizza, tried some scotch and generally were bored. 
Finally we boarded our flight back to the NOLA!
So, what were my impressions of St. Maarten?
It was nice.
 I hoped that I would fall in love with an island-sort-of-life where the pace was slow and days were long and warm, and while it makes a nice vacation, I'm too much of a busybody to want to live there.
Sure, it was pretty, but it rained all the time, things were expensive, and you had to go to two or three different grocery stores to get everything you wanted.
After five days, I was ready to get back into my routine at home with running, going to work, thrifting and drinking milk that was not $6.00 a gallon.
It was a nice little vacation for me, and I feel luck to have been able to spend some time in a tropical island with my best friend...but next time, we're going to London.
{or back to Boston; either is fine with me}
 

No comments:

Pin It button on image hover