Monday, February 13, 2012

When You Know Better

When You Know Better

Ruthann, over at  Eclectic Whatnot is training for a half marathon.
One of her weeks required a 5k race, and to give her support, some other running bloggers are linking up  at the end of the week and posting about our runs.
She doesn't have the linky party up yet, put I already wrote my post, so I'm going to share. 
Basically though, if you're not a runner, this will be a pretty boring post.
   
Way back in the day, post break up with a long time boyfriend, I trained for and completed the Inagural Rock N' Roll Mardi Gras Marathon in New Orleans in 2010.
It was my first long distance race and I trained well and only had a few weeks of IT-Band pain somewhere in the middle of my schedule.
The remedy for this is to stretch stretch stretch and gain more stregth in your quads/butt/core, if I rememeber correctly.

Come race day, I knew that I had prepared well, but I ended up completing the half with a TERRRRRRIBLE time. I lost all composure and stopped to walk about seventeen times.
I never stopped to walk while training, but apparently this was the beginning of a bad habit that took a long time to break.
Despite the walking, after I finished I decided that if I can run 14 miles training for the half, then surely I could run 26.2 miles, and so last year(to the day,February 13th, 2011), I completed the Rock N' Roll full marathon in New Orleans.
Also with a terrible time.
While training for that race, I struggled with stopping to walk and my excuses were that I was tired, or sore, or thirsty, or I saw a nice bird, or whatever.
But by the time it was race day, I had pretty much kicked the habit of stopping in my runs, and I didn't stop during my 26.2 mile journey(except for maybe a tiny tiny bit ye about mile 22-23 ish).
My half marathon I completed in almost three hours and my full marathon I completed in 6:03 ish.
That means I'm SLOW.
When I trained for both of those races, I was usually around an 11:30 pace, but for the actual races, it equaled out to 14:14 and 14:25 minute miles.
What the hell, Brandi?
Post marathon, I didn't really train for a year, and ran 3 miles a few days a week and 5 miles on Sundays.
I've just started to get back into distance, and I'm also trying to keep my runs under 10:00 pace.
Three Sundays ago I ran five miles.
Two Sundays ago I ran 6.2 miles at a 10:19 pace.
Last Sunday, I ran 7.36 miles with a 10:24ish pace. 
I was only supposed to run 7 &; I was damn proud of myself for doing more than I had planned and for not stopping.
Now, let me tell you, I was sore.
Sore sore sore sore.
Mondays are always a rest day.
Tuesday, I was walking down my stairs and I noticed some tightness in my IT Band, brushed it off, and tried to ignore it.
Tuesday, I did not stretch pre-3 mile run.
Tuesday, I made that stupid decision, had a slow three mile run at 10:20, and felt really uncomfortable.
I do this bikini workout type thing two/three days per week, and when I tried to do that after running, the soreness got worse.
Then, my neighbor Julie and I went to Whole Foods, and after standing up for 30 minutes in the store, I needed to sit down because I was ouchy.
I went home, took advil, elevated and iced my knee area.
Wednesday, I was feeling better, stretched like a smart girl, and had a good run at 9:54.
Thursday I had another good run at 9:55.
And here we are now.

Sunday I was planning on running eight, but to be cautious about my IT band, I decided to only run five, since I didn't want to add too much distance too quickly.
Five at 10:03.
Not too bad.
So, I'm definitly not a perfect runner.
I'm not a girl who is naturally athletic, unless you count naturally having a big ass and liking Smoothie King.
But I do know that I enjoy running, and that I can keep improving, if I use my own common sense and don't hurt myself by not stretching and stopping every .5 mile.
So far, so good on the stopping, and I've stretched the rest of the week.
I hope to do a half this spring(I don't know which one yet), and then a full this fall.
I am absolutly nostalgic about my first marathon last year, and miss all the feelings that came along with completing it.  I guess you only get the first time once, but I'm
anxious to see how a second time feels.

Wish me luck, ladies, and I'll wish you luck too!

5 comments:

Suzie Thomas said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ruthanne said...

Go on with your bad self!

I can't wait to see my time come down like that.

Katie said...

Love this post! I lol'd a few times. I'm definitely a beginning runner (lots of 5ks and one 10k), but a marathon is on my bucket list. Your times really are inspiring.

Brandi said...

Ruthann and Katie: Thank you both for commenting! I never really feel like my times are anything to talk about, mostly because my two or three running buddies have paces in the 7:00s and 8:00s, so I'm always the pokey puppy. If I hadn't been "challenged" to make myself have 5 under 10 minute miles last month, I never would have tried, so I know you both can do it to! And Katie, I did one 5k before my first half...weird!

Brandi said...

Ruthann and Katie: Thank you both for commenting! I never really feel like my times are anything to talk about, mostly because my two or three running buddies have paces in the 7:00s and 8:00s, so I'm always the pokey puppy. If I hadn't been "challenged" to make myself have 5 under 10 minute miles last month, I never would have tried, so I know you both can do it to! And Katie, I did one 5k before my first half...weird!

Pin It button on image hover