Wednesday, January 11, 2012

First Project of the Year: The Middle

First Project of the Year: The Middle

You've already learned about the exile of the 1982 carpet, and without any flooring, I had to come up with a plan for the closet.  I decided that tile would be the best bet because of cost/skill.
PS - When I was at LSU, the Greek Community helped with the Habitat for Humanity build and I always wanted to help with tile, but due to having class and work, I was always stuck sweeping up nails or something like that before the walls were even up.
I purchased all the necessary tiling things(grout, thinset, trowel, float) and of course, the tile.
Glacier Bay Porcelain Tile, Lowes
I was planning on ceramic, but I found these porcelain tiles instead.  They aren't as dark as they look in this photo...they're actually really light with a grayish-blueish tone...and I chose Delorean Gray grout, which lightens them up even more.  I had Lowes cut the tile for me after I measured them, then placed them on the floor to make sure they fit with spacers.
  I also found it helpful to label each tile that wasn't standard 12 x 12, so I would quickly know where to place it.
Mixing up the thinset and then laying the tiles was a slow process.  It took about 15 minutes for 3 tiles...thus about an hour and 20 minutes for the whole room.  After that, let it sit for 24 hours before moving along to grouting.
No grouting photos.
And no baseboard replacement photos(maybe because I haven't done it yet).
Looking back now, I see that my tiles are a little skewed.  The grid is straight, but it kinda veers.  I wish I would've noticed that before I had laid the thinset and stuck the tiles. 
But I guess you live and learn and thank goodness it was a closet instead of your whole kitchen or something.  
Now, all thats left is the baseboards/quarter round and to hope that it covers the edges...THEN i can finally organize this silly closet! 

1 comment:

moncler said...

ceramic tile
[url=http://www.jialiceramic.com]wall tile[/url]

Pin It button on image hover