Sunday, August 28, 2011

One of My Hobbies is Opening the Front Door

One of My Hobbies is Opening the Front Door

You didn't know that?
Well, you didn't once live in Oakbrook with me where something about the pressure in the locks made it really difficult to open the front door.
And my roommate & I didn't tell the front office because we thought we were just weak.
Then we got locked out.
And couldn't get in.
We had to call a friend to help us break in.
Anywho, enough about my college adventures, and on to my adulthood adventures.
PS - My birthday was yesterday.  I am now twenty six.  I actually feel older.
So, last weekend I did lots of little projects around my house and was happy with all of them.  However, my big project(big for A Brandi Sized Blog) of painting the front door is still not considered a great upgrade, in my opinion.

The whole process was an ordeal.
Last Photo of the White Door
First, gather my things:
Next, I had to degloss the door so that the new paint would adhere.  I used my handy-dandy CVS Birthday Coupon to buy gloves so I wouldn't get deglosser all over me. 

After one coat of paint, this is what we've got:

Hmm.
And after two coats and significant dry time, this is how the door looks. 
I love that the fresh coat of paint looks cleaner, but I notice all the dents in the door now and my wreath no longer pops.  I need a new wreath.
And I think the white door seemed to bring out the mortar of my reddish bricks.  So...opinions? 
White door vs. greige door?

2 comments:

Chrissy said...

You could try adding a pop of color like blue in the recessed parts like the white in this yellow and white door here: http://www.houzz.com/photos/32555/Chelsea-Yellow-Door-traditional-exterior-london

Chrissy said...

Wait, I just read about your HOA. Perhaps they'll let you do that with the white instead of blue?

Pin It button on image hover