Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Summer Reading, Part Two

Summer Reading, Part Two

Amazon
The next book I have finished reading was "Ms. Moffett's First Year" by Abby Goodnough.  In fact, I just finished this last night after I had a bad dream and couldn't fall back asleep.
As many of you know, I feel a certain draw to teaching little kids, but have no knowledge or experience with it, so instead I choose to read books about it until one day I decide to go for it. 
This book followed a middle age woman making a career change from law office administration to first grade teacher via an new alternative certification program(Teaching Fellows), in Brooklyn, New York.  This program placed her in a failing school and a classroom full of students with various problems, and this book shows some of her trials and frustrations as well as gives insight into the problems which plagued the Department of Education in New York around the early 2000s.
I checked this book out from the library at the same time I checked out Waiting to Forget, and read a few pages of each.  I found myself more intrigued by Waiting to Forget, but after finishing it, I knew I had to read this one.
It was a serious, yet breezy read, and I have to admit, I was a little sad when it was over.   

1 comment:

♥B said...

You should go for it.. it's so rewarding :)

Pin It button on image hover