Tuesday, April 5, 2011

"This Salad Was Good Till The Lights Went Out"

"This Salad Was Good Till The Lights Went Out"
And other food mishaps.

Hello blogland!

I had been having a small case of bloggers-block until I watched episode 4 of season 3 of Diary of a Secret Call Girl...my bad, Secret Diary of a Call Girl...I always seem to mix up the adjectives.


Anywho,
this particular episode spent the better part of 8 minutes focusing on Belle's time with a guy who had a food fetish.
But not the kind you would think.
This guy basically was into having a food fight with his lover.
You know, throwing cream pies and such.
You'll have to watch it to get all the details...and NO, my blog post isn't about food fetishes.
Just food.
But before you call me Martha, let me just warn you that I'm not a great chef but I do find baking therapeutic.
I mentioned last week that I wanted to try a recipe for


Their Cupcake

Here are the ingredients needed for the cupcakes:

  • 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into 1″ pieces
  • 2 ounces 99% cacao dark chocolate, chopped (I used a Newman's Own Organic Espresso Chocolate Bar)
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp crushed chili pepper flakes
  • 1 Tbsp ground coffee beans
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup sour cream (I used fat free)
And for the frosting:
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened(1 stick)
  • 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar(.75 cups)
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract(.75 tsp)
  • 2 tsp ground cardamom(1 tsp)
NOTE:   I did not have enough butter, so I split the frosting recipe in half.
NOTE AGAIN:  I always find buttercream recipes to be way too rich....so I further reduced the sugar by half.


My Cupcake

Well, silly me made an uh-oh.
I made the mistake of using 1 tsp of ground red pepper instead of pepper flakes. 
I didn't think it would make much of a difference what form the pepper was in.
Oops.
My neighbor Julie came over to try one...she told me they cleared her sinuses.
The icing cooled them down, but because I only made half a batch of icing, it wasn't really enough.



Enter milk chocolate chips.
These definitely helped my fiery cupcakes, which besides the heat factor, were very tasty. 
I'll be making them again, with less pepper!

Oh,
and if anyone can tell me why my cupcakes are always flat on top...please let me know.
They start off fluffy, then deflate when they leave the oven.




Next up is my dinner from last night.
Might I add that I had a wonderfully lazy evening yesteday?
I watched the season finale of Teen Mom 2 on my computer, then just as the thunderstorm was rolling in, I unplugged the computer and went to enjoy this salad.




Egg-sell-ent Salad.
No, its actually a Pecan Feta Salad from Whole Foods.
I used my own Walnut Vinegarette Dressing and croutons and picked out the olives and let me tell you, it was fantastic.
Then some silly transformer decided to blow and left me in the almost dark. 
I said to myself, "I don't need a candle.  I have three more bites of dinner left.  I'll finish this and then go find a candle."
Well.
I needed a candle.
A sneaky olive found its way into my mouth and as soon as it registered its salty-disgusting-ness on my taste buds, I thought I was going to throw up.
It was all I could do to finish the bite.
And worst of all, I had half the salad leftover
And I'll never be able to eat it again.
Damn electricity outage ruined my salad.



1 comment:

very married said...

spicy cupcake?? sounds scary to me but i think my husband would love it!

Pin It button on image hover